- The Power to Study Environmental Changes as They Happen - Everywhere
- Unmatched Reach, Reliability and Return on Investment
- REMOTE COMMUNICATIONS
- Meeting the Needs of the Global Research Community
- Connecting the World Like No Other
- Broadband Anywhere on Earth
- Your Devices Now Work Everywhere You Do
- ANIMAL TRACKING AND CONSERVATION
- Monitor Variations in Animal Populations
- WEATHER MONITORING
- Keep Up With Our Changing Climate
- Monitor Climatology Solutions Around the Globe
- Giving Researchers the Information They Need, When and Where They Need It
- Maintain Vital Connections While at Sea
- Retrieve Data from the Most Remote Areas
- Extreme Peace of Mind
The Power to Study Environmental Changes as They Happen – Everywhere #
Monitoring weather patterns and endangered species can take scientific research all over the world. From the highest mountains, to the most isolated forests, to the deepest oceans, the ability to stay connected is critical to the success and safety of all research operations.
Powered by the world’s furthest reaching network, Iridium and its partners deliver reliable voice and data communications solutions to scientists, environmentalists and fieldworkers — enabling them to push their studies further than ever, anywhere on the planet.
Unmatched Reach, Reliability and Return on Investment #
A global communications leader, Iridium works with its partners to enable key advantages for scientific initiatives, including:
- Global coverage, even in remote terrains and isolated waters
- Service even in extreme weather conditions, so your research can stay on track
- Ability to monitor animals, gather data and report findings to help reduce poaching, illegal extraction and habitat loss
- Ability to collect weather and environmental data to address climate change on a global scale
- Smooth transition and forward compatibility to our next generation satellite constellation, providing connectivity for decades to come.
REMOTE COMMUNICATIONS #
Meeting the Needs of the Global Research Community #
Scientific expeditions bring fieldworkers to far-off locations around the world. Only Iridium and its partners let researchers stay connected to one another from pole to pole, enhancing their safety and allowing them to relay findings in real time, even beyond the limits of traditional network infrastructure.
Connecting the World Like No Other #
Enhanced with high-value features and services than any other, Iridium handsets such as Iridium Extreme and Iridium 9555 put more innovative capability — and more ways to connect — into the hands of scientists, everywhere.
Broadband Anywhere on Earth #
Powered by the high-speed, high-value Iridium OpenPort broadband service, Iridium Pilot and Iridium Pilot Land Station deliver exceptional performance with reliable data speeds and voice quality.
- Data applications like email, web browsing or social media
- Acts as a remote office, enabling up to three voice calls at the same time, even during data transmission
- Small form factor allows simple mounting on vessels, buildings and tripod for quick deployment
Your Devices Now Work Everywhere You Do #
Compact, rugged and portable, Iridium GO is the first-ever reliable global connection to provide voice and text messaging for smartphone users. In addition to GPS tracking, SOS alerts and more, Iridium GO provides data capabilities through optimized apps so your scientific expedition can focus on the work and stay connected everywhere.
ANIMAL TRACKING AND CONSERVATION #
Monitor Variations in Animal Populations #
As animal populations continue to fluctuate around the world, conservation organizations and scientists are collaborating with Iridium and its partners to develop better solutions for monitoring and protecting global biodiversity.
WEATHER MONITORING #
Keep Up With Our Changing Climate #
Iridium’s satellite network enables the collection and transmission of short- and long-term weather forecasts. Iridium helps climatologists better understand climate change with a range of supported solutions as varied as the environment itself. This effectively brings more to the table for scientific research.
Monitor Climatology Solutions Around the Globe #
Leveraging the power of Iridium’s Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, Iridium and its partners offer a range of climatology solutions that can assist with research and tracking, including
- Collection and storage of GPS, temperature and barometric pressure data
- Up-to-the-minute information collected from devices on land or at sea over the Iridium network
- Data gathering and analysis of weather patterns over long periods of time
Giving Researchers the Information They Need, When and Where They Need It #
From pole-to-pole, Iridium’s global, low-latency Short Burst Data (SBD) service provides the ideal solution for monitoring and updating status on environmental and scientific research tools.
Maintain Vital Connections While at Sea #
Scientific research expeditions can lead teams across the surface and into the depths of the world’s oceanic environments. Reliable voice and data communications are crucial for oceanographers to stay safe and connected when operating in isolated waters —where only Iridium offers coverage.
Retrieve Data from the Most Remote Areas #
Iridium and its partners offer a range of machine-to-machine (M2M) enabled data gathering solutions for scientific research— including buoys, gliders, markers, profilers and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) — that get your critical scientific information back to you securely and in near-real time, from anywhere.
Extreme Peace of Mind #
Ruggedly engineered for tough conditions, the Iridium Extreme is a versatile, high-performance communications solution for researchers to access voice, SMS and location-based services, plus an integrated SOS button you can rely on — no matter how remote the waters.