Fast, Simple, Global, Iridium Push to Talk as it was meant to be. It has been around since the 1930s, providing immediacy of voice, one-to-many communication and fast response times for individuals doing tough jobs around the world. Military personnel, industrial workers, government staff, emergency crews, and utility companies use it to stay connected. It has different names, but one thing in common – a push-to-talk button that helps transmit voice to hundreds or even thousands of users. PTT, embedded in a two-way radio, walkie-talkie or a phone app is here to stay. There is a critical need for a robust, global push-to-talk network that connects everyone everywhere and Iridium has now made it a reality.
What are the features of the revolutionary Iridium PTT service?
• Global: Traditionally walkie-talkies work when no terrestrial coverage is available, but they are designed for communication over short ranges (up to 20 miles). Cell phones, equipped with PTT apps tend to cover even longer distances, but are not reliable in remote areas. Iridium Push to Talk (PTT) allows you to communicate from every part of the world without limitations and compromise. Users working in the most remote areas where cell towers are nonexistent or have been destroyed can use Iridium Push-to-Talk to communicate quickly and effectively on a daily basis or in crisis.
• Mobile: Satellite push-to-talk devices may get cumbersome. Part of this is predefined by their function – they operate through higher power and need thicker housing to work in hazardous environments. Usually the tradeoff for a smaller radio size is a larger number of infrastructure sites. Since Iridium Push-to-Talk operates on Iridium’s constellation of 66 cross-linked, low-earth orbit satellites, you are free of bulky phones, towers and repeaters. There is no heavy equipment to slow you down. It is you and Iridium Push to Talk connecting your entire team.
• Fast: Everything about Iridium Push to Talk is fast. Starting with the service – Iridium PTT works as fast as terrestrial land-mobile radio solutions. Then the Iridium Extreme PTT device – you can initiate a talkgroup generally in less than 2 seconds. Last, but not least, the Iridium Push to Talk Command Center allows you to define coverage areas and user talkgroups over-the-air in near real time. Iridium PTT is built for speed in order to support coordination and control of personnel and resources like never before.
• Simple and adaptable: The Iridium Push-to-Talk service is managed through a web-based interface called Iridium PTT Command Center. You can manage coverage areas, talkgroups, and devices with just your mouse and keyboard. Define coverage areas by shape and click “Save.” Changes will happen within seconds so your teams in the field can continue their operations and focus on the mission, not on the devices.
Iridium PTT Command Center
• Secure: All transmissions are sent using AES-256 encryption – one of the most secure protocols available. Your communications remain yours alone.
• Interoperable: The expediency in communication is easily translated in a number of industries. For example, an emergency dispatcher using Iridium PTT has the ability to communicate with police officers, fire fighters and paramedics to coordinate critical missions in different states and even different countries around the globe.
To determine if Iridium Push-to-Talk is right for you, check for updates on www.iridium.com. A list of Iridium Push-to-Talk service providers is coming soon.
Fast, Simple, Global – Iridium® Push-to-Talk as It was Meant to Be. (2015, March 24). Retrieved June 09, 2016, from https://blog.iridium.com/2015/03/24/fast-simple-global-iridium®-push-to-talk-as-it-was-meant-to-be/